Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tip of the Week: Toys to Treasure!

The other day I was thinking about Christmases past and I suddenly realized that my daughter probably doesn’t remember the early ones. At age two, she came down the stairs to view the rocking horse, dollhouse and train set we spent all night putting together and she burst into tears! It was not the reaction we were hoping for, but nonetheless I enjoyed every purchase I had made that year. I am so thankful that at age six, she still believes in the magic of the holiday season. I look forward to surprising her with the special toys that I have found this year.
There is nothing better than shopping for your baby as they experience the magic of the holidays. I thought I would share some of the special toys I have come across that both you and your baby will enjoy! (Trust me, you will appreciate these once you start receiving Polly Pockets and Spider Man toys when they are older). The toys on my list are truly keepers!

Dolls

The adorable, made-to-order dolls from Bumblebird are the ideal first baby dolls, soft and cuddly beyond belief. ($20-$25) http://thesillywagon.com

Jenny Kraus's bright, happy Yo Yo Dolls are handmade by Bolivian artists, and should be a pre-requisite for every new mom. ($25-$50) www.uncommongoods.com

Dress-Up

I personally like handmade things that are different, and unfortunately I am not talented enough to create them. These handmade capes let boys and girls be their own heroes! ($30) www.etsy.com

Trucks and Planes

Where can you find colorful, wooden, handmade, and cute? It can be done! I really like Maple Landmark's biplane--and the best part is the moving propeller! ($32) www.wilddill.com

The Little Tipper Dump Truck is a keeper as well. It is a wonderful toy, and handmade by developmentally challenged adults at Camphill Village, which is a wonderful way to help these talented people ($39.90). If your child enjoys building and stacking consider the 46-piece Heavy Hauler ($65). www.novanatural.com

First Christmas

I was impressed with the hand knit, ultra soft, cotton from Bla Bla Kids, all made by a women's cooperative in Peru. They are just beautiful! ($29) www.blablakids.com

The gorgeous handmade cashmere jingle balls from Kistner Supply are simply the best gift you could give a new mom. Not only are they beautifully presented, but the baby will love them too. They are soooo soft! ($45) http://kistnersupply.com

I also like the rattles that double as dolls, like the vintage style baby pig or baby elephant rattle at the Baby Gardner. ($28) http://thebabygardner.com

Tired of teething? These are a must! These fabulous, Waldorf style doll rattles, which become safe, soothing teethers when wet down and frozen. ($19) www.shopsparrowla.com

Start them out safely with the soft NooNoo sheep rattle made of bamboo and organic cotton. ($25) www.shoptwig.com

Babies love the bright, colorful eco-friendly wooden rattle from Plan Toys made of sustainable rubber wood. ($12) www.happygreenbaby.com

From the makers of the beloved Sophie Giraffe comes the funky fungi, the Chan Pie Gnon teethers. They are so much fun and they are handmade out of phthalate-free rubber in the French Alps! ($12.95) www.zoebonline.com

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment