Friday, March 19, 2010

Tip of the Week: Manageable Manicure

It never fails that just before a family visit or having my daughter’s picture taken, she scratches herself. When I brought her home from the hospital, I was thrilled when someone gave us mittens for her tiny hands to prevent it from happening. Unfortunately, they only stayed on her hands for a moment before she shook them off.

Since mittens are not a long-term solution, it was eventually time to give her nails a trim. Someone had given me a first-year nail kit for babies, and although I was enthusiastic about its success, my daughter had other ideas… it quickly went from manicure to wrestling match. The end result was a screaming baby with bleeding nails cut to the quick. I felt absolutely horrible! Years later I realize that accidents like this happen to the best of us, but it is a difficult lesson to learn.

My big solution and what I recommend to other moms is to cut your child’s nails when they are asleep! I also learned to err on the side of caution, being careful not to cut them too short and to take care off any sharp edges with a small, purse-sized file. This was so much easier… and another parenting disaster avoided!

No comments:

Post a Comment