Friday, October 30, 2009

Tip of the Week: When "No" Means "No"

I saw this article about saying "no" to our children on The Parent Report recently and thought it was so good, I wanted to share it with you! Here's an excerpt of the article.

"'There are 3 alternatives I use so that I don't have to say 'no' so often, so that when I do say 'no' my children will know that I mean it. The first alternative to a question like 'Mom, can I have a cookie?' is 'yes, later'. The child is already to fight a 'no', and it's harder to fight a 'yes, later'. The second alternative to a question such as 'Mom can I go to a friend's house?' could be 'give me a minute.' There's nothing wrong with asking for a moment to develop your own case. The third alternative which is great for teens and a question like 'Mom, can I have the car keys?' is 'convince me'.'
By choosing our 'no's' carefully Coloroso says we're then able to save them for those really important questions."

For the whole article, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment